Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ottawa Tulips

I remembered my friends birthday yesterday, while looking out at my tulips. She lives in Ottawa now and  tulips often make me think of Ottawa, the massive beds of them all over the city. They have a Tulip Festival each year. The tulip bulbs, originally, at least, were given to Canada from Holland to thank us. 
from Wikipedia:
In 1945, the Dutch Royal Family sent 100,000 tulip bulbs to Ottawa in gratitude for Canadians having sheltered Princess Juliana and her daughters for the preceding three years during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, in the Second World War.
The most noteworthy event during their time in Canada was the birth in 1943 of Princess Margriet to Princess Julianna at the Ottawa Civic Hospital. The maternity ward was declared to be officially a temporary part of international territory, so that she would be born in no country and would inherit only her Dutch citizenship from her mother. In 1946, Juliana sent another 20,500 bulbs requesting that a display be created for the hospital, and promised to send 10,000 more bulbs each year.

We went on a school trip to Ottawa and Quebec and I remember being amazed by all the tulips. Between the tulips and the Fall leaves, Ottawa became my University town...pretty good reasons to pick a university, don't you think? LOL.
But I digress tremendously, even adding in proper facts...as I was trying to type out the story as I recalled, it was not nearly as succinct. Last night I made a card for her.


Trying to use current stuff, I perused the galleries and found this variation of a tulip, made with the Owl punch of all things! I hand cut the leaves from Garden Green and guess what! I used the Twitterpated paper again...LOL. Wish Big is from Word Play. I used the Big Shot to cut out the Label Collections framelits and  texturize the Pretty in Pink and Rose Red paper and stamped with the Creative Elements swirl on the Celery piece.
This one has even had a letter written inside it and I'll send it off in the mail today!
Three cards ~ three days!

smiles,
Laurie

1 comment:

  1. Really love these flowers! I'll have to try making them one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete